So today we are going to mix things up a bit. Be warned that I am about to challenge a number of notions out there. I wanted to talk about something that everyone at one point thinks about:
It is no secret that women have been put under the microscope for countless years when it comes to their external appearance. I will never argue the fact that men will notice beauty first. However, I will present the fact that over the last number of years men have been under a similar type of pressure to look a certain way.
Poetic justice? Maybe…
Lets explore a few observations out there:
1) For all my female readers out there, I want you to indulge me in an exercise. Imagine you are at a coffee shop or a restaurant with a few of your friends. When all of a sudden walks in a man. He is well dressed, has a nice smile and you notice him immediately…
What does he look like? How would you describe him?
….I forgot to mention that he is 5 foot 6”. How many of you mentioned he was ‘tall’.
Some men may prefer a taller woman; however, I have never met a man who wouldn’t date a woman because of her height (extremes put aside). For a woman, if she is shorter than average she can always wear heels. For a man it is different. I have known countless number of women who would not go out with a man if he wasn’t over 5′ 10”. I am not here to argue someone’s preference – lets face it, a taller man is more attractive. I have asked a few women this and they all factor in not only their height, but the height of their heels. This is fair – however, the funny thing I also noticed was that even with heels if the guy was slightly taller than her she still deemed him too short.
2) Larger Women vs Larger Men – I personally prefer a woman with curves. I really am not into skinny girls (aka runway models style bodies). Yeah, yeah, I know…every girl reading this will roll their eyes…however, it is true (to be honest, I am talking body here – I will admit they are facial beautiful). In fact, I think women would be surprised how many guys find ‘curves’ attractive. I am not talking about fake style…I am talking real woman curves. I have known a number of guys that are self-declared ‘chubby chasers’ (a rude term but used to illustrate a point). I have met women who prefer a man to be a bit bigger (vs skinny). However, in all my years on this earth, I have never met a woman who was a male chubby chaser. Never.
3) Women are way better at leveraging their physical assets – ask a woman what she thinks her best physical asset is and she could probably tell you right away. Ask a guy and he will look at you weird and or make a rude gesture! We all have some feature that makes us special. However, the difference between women and men is that women know how to accentuate that asset and camouflage any imperfections.
4) Tools of the trade – I have noticed over a number of years that there is a trend in male cosmetics (anti-aging, moisturizer, etc…). This is no accident. Plastic surgery was once a service tailored to women – now, more men have procedures than women. However, males are still behind the 8-ball when it comes to products used to enhance their appearance. Outside of the obvious example (make-up), I will use another: The Bra. Thanks to the medical marvels in bra technology a woman could alter her appearance in almost anyway – smaller, push-up, bigger, etc…the list goes on. Imagine if a guy had push up underwear….he would get arrested for public indecency.
So why am I mentioning this? To make the men feel unworthy and the women feel shallow? No.
If women were more like us, we would be in big trouble. Above I pointed out some things that may challenge the notion that men have no pressures on them to look a certain way. However, the good news is that there are some observations about women that help us out:
1) When they love you, they really love you – I know this from experience. I really let myself go for a number of years; however, my girlfriend at the time still looked at me like I was the sexiest guy on earth. That is true love. When you are at your worst, a woman in love with you will still see you for who you are.
2) Body Language – woman are way more intuned to someone’s body language. Having strong body language demonstrates confidence. Confidence is sexy – by standing straight and simply looking them in the eye you have already demonstrated you are worthy of their attention
3) Trust Your Male Instincts – we really haven’t evolved that much over the years…just the way we do things. Back in the day, the man had to act like the man. Now it isn’t as black and white as it used to be. However, women really appreciate the little things. One day I had a flat tire with my girlfriend. Instead of calling a tow company, I decided to change it myself. I am far from handy, but I do have some survival skills. After it was done, my girlfriend told me it was the hottest thing she has seen. The funny thing was she probably could have it changed it herself, but she enjoyed it because it was the ‘manly’ thing to do. So don’t be afraid to be a man once in a while – your woman appreciates it more than you know.
The point of this post is losing weight and feeling better is about building a better you. Life isn’t fair. We don’t wake up rich and beautiful.
If you are a woman – don’t beat yourself up if you don’t look like someone from a magazine. We find you sexy in your own unique way.
If you are a man – go out and buy a nice looking outfit. Take your woman out, stand up straight and don’t be afraid to be a man.
We can learn from each other.
Have a healthy week!